Kindergarten WordPress Theme
By: Alina Sava [themeforest.net/user/CraftedPixels]
Thank you for purchasing my theme. If you have any questions that are beyond the scope of this help file, please use the Support forum. If you have a more general question relating to the themes on Theme Forest, you might consider visiting the forums and asking your question in the Item Discussion section.
Kindergarten Theme - Features:
- Fully responsive, looks great on any device;
- Unique slider - shapes your pictures like clouds, without previous photo editing;
- Post formats -Standard, Aside, Audio, Chat, Gallery, Image, Link, Quote, Status, Video;
- Custom front page, multiple page templates;
- Administrable social media icons;
- Jetpack compatible;
- Search Engine Friendly;
- W3C Markup Validated and cross-browser compatible.
Kindergarten Theme is compatible with WordPress 3.6+. If you have older WordPress versions, please update before using the theme.
- STEP 1: For this step you have two options:
- Option 1: Upload via FTP the "kindergarten" folder from the archive to wp-content/themes directory.
- Option 2: Use the "Install themes" function from WordPress Dashboard. The function is located in Appearance > Themes. Click the "Install themes" tab, and then click "Upload". Choose kindergarten.zip from the archive and then click the "Install Now" button.
- STEP 2: Activate the theme from the "Manage Themes" tab.
After activating the theme, you will be prompted to install the required plugins: CP-ImageGallery, CP-WOWSlider and Bootstrap Shortcodes.
Press "Begin Installing Plugins"
Setting up Kindergarten Theme
Kindergarten has a custom front page, so for displaying it and the blog posts page correctly, follow this steps:
- Create a new page - name it "Home" and choose "Front Page" template for it;
- Create another page and name it "Blog";
- Go to Settings > Reading and set them as static pages for Front Page and Posts Page.
To change the default logo with your logo, go to Appearance > Custom Header.
See Setting up for installing.
Slider images are 670px wide by 400px high. For best results it is recommended to upload 670x400 images, or any other size with the same aspect ratio, if possible in .png format.
Uploaded images are automatically resized and shaped like a cloud, there is no need for previous image editing.
To add or edit slider images, go to Plugins > CP-WOWSlider.
If you have not uploaded any images yet, only the "+ Add Slide" button will show. You can also change the transition effect, duration and delay.
Click "+ Add Slide" to add a new image. For each slide, there are several options: Number (for re-ordering), Title and Caption (Description). Please note that, depending on your hosting server, upload image size may vary. That limit is displayed just below the image uploader.
See Setting up for installing.
Kindergarten has a custom gallery page with filterable photo albums. To use it, create a new page called Gallery (or any other name of your choice) and use the shortcode [cp-image-gallery].
To add or edit albums in your gallery, go to Plugins > CP-ImageGallery. (NOTE: The "Edit" tab shows only when you click an album's Edit button.)
- Add an album in the "Add Album" tab. You may select multiple files to upload at a time (but please bear in mind that maximum file upload size depends on your hosting configuration, sometimes it can be as low as 2 MB).
- After saving the album, go to "Albums" tab, click Edit button and choose a cover photo for the album. To do that, check the radio button on the desired photo.
- You can edit/add caption or delete pictures. (NOTE: Caption is displayed when the picture is opened in prettyPhoto lightbox.)
Bootstrap Shortcodes plugin
See Setting up for installing.
Bootstrap Shortcodes plugin adds multiple buttons in the page/post toolbar. You will see those buttons when you add a new page or a new post. There's no need for manual input of shortcodes, just choose what you need from the toolbar.
The buttons are as follows:
- Grid columns;
- Notifications (Error, Success, Warning, Information);
Contact Page & Social Media
Kindergarten comes with a special Contact Page Template with details (address, phone, email, website), Google Maps, social media and contact form.
To activate the Contact Page, simply create a page and name it Contact (or however you want), and choose as template "Contact".
The Contact Page details and the social media icons displayed in the footer and Contact Page are manageable from Theme Options.
Icons are available for RSS, Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and YouTube. For an icon to be displayed, you must add the link to your profile on that social network. To do this go to Appearance > Theme Options.
All the .psd files are included in the "PSD-files" directory.
To edit Kindergarten Template files, you must first install the necessary fonts.
The fonts used are not included, but you can find the download links in the "Sources and Credits" section of this document.
12 psd files are included (6 @1x for normal displays and 6 @2x for retina displays) plus 2 psd files with the background texture (@1x and @2x). The files are organized in 3 folders:
- Homepage - 01_kindergarten_homepage.psd
- About - 02_kindergarten_about_us.psd
- Gallery - 03_kindergarten_gallery.psd
- Blog - 04_kindergarten_blog.psd
- Blog post - 05_kindergarten_blog_post.psd
- Contact - 06_kindergarten_contact.psd
- Homepage - email@example.com
- About - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gallery - email@example.com
- Blog - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog post - email@example.com
- Contact - firstname.lastname@example.org
V 3.0 [14.01.2014]
Added link on title and caption for WOWSlider.
Made footer menu customizable.
V 2.0 [30.11.2013]
Added Image Gallery.
V 1.0 [19.11.2013]
Sources and Credits
- Vectors and shapes: Vecteezy Premium or handcrafted by me (Alina Sava);
- Webfont Icons: FontAwesome;
- Patterns: subtlepatterns.com;
- WOW Slider - properly licensed, included in the template;
- Other scripts: getbootstrap.com;
- Images used in the demo (properly licensed, included in the template): graphicstock.com
- Images used in the demo (not included in the template): PhotoDune